Cancer drew a line in the sand of our lives.
The diagnosis came at the worst time – things like that always do, don’t they?
The treatment, while necessary, had it’s own bag of challenges. (Being bald is kinda scary!)
We lived through the shock, the trauma, the fear, and the sadness.
And then came a day when the doctors told us we were on our own. We had been given the gift of time and a wealth of experience. Not what do we do with it?
It’s time for a 2nd Act – touching lives and lending a hand. Using our gifts of time and experience to give back to society for the greater good. It doesn’t matter whether your 2nd Act is large or small. Touching just one life is a story worthy of sharing with others. Just look at these examples:
What’s YOUR 2nd ACT? We want to know!
Send us the story of how you’re helping other women survivors. Send us the story of how you’re helping other women survivors. Send a photo along with it, too – even a selfie will do – so we can see the courageous and brilliant woman
behind the story.
All essays will be featured in our My 2nd Act showcase.
Want to go BIGGER? Visit our YouTube Channel, My 2nd Act: Survivor Stories from the Stage and see the amazing stories of women who are taking their lives back after cancer by giving back to the world around them. Want us in your city? Let us know!
Be a part of SURVIVORville history! Submit an essay and tell us YOUR 2nd Act!
Here’s what to do:
1. Write a creative, memoir-style essay (1,200 words or less) that captures the essence of how you’re using the time and experience from your cancer journey to help other survivors traveling their own cancer journey. That’s your 2nd Act, baby!
2. Be sure to send a photo or selfie along with you essay. Doesn’t have to be formal and it would be great if it pictured you actually DOING your 2nd Act. Please do not embed your photo into your essay submission. Send it as a separate attachment.
3. Please note: by submitting your essay and photo, you agree that they become the property of the Women Survivors Alliance.
4. Essay submissions must be a Word document attachment to an email. Please write “My 2nd Act Essay Submission” in the subject line of the email and submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Questions? Feel free to submit them to the same address.
We can’t wait to read yours!